Ethical individualism, epistemological collectivism

 

I am ethically an individualist, but epistemologically a collectivist.  

I have written about egos and egoism before - broadly, I am in favor, but I also think that the ego can become an obstacle in its own projects - as I like to put it, the ego isn't selfish enough - and for this reason, I call myself "egoish".  I don't think there is anything given or automatic about individualism.  I think that the ego is a construction: mostly a social construction, though also, to an important extent, a personal construction.  But I also think that that's a good thing.  We should construct egos.  We have a responsibility to construct the ego as a locus of responsibility.  It's a good thing to individuate.  It's a good thing to build yourself, creatively, to develop strength and self-possession, or, to put it in that one beautiful word: composure.  So yes, ethically, I stand by individualism.  

But, on the other hand - and precisely because of what I have said so far - I am also an epistemological collectivist.  It is in my own rational self-interest to try to understand the truth, and to contextualize the truth in a way that is honest with myself, even if it hurts.  And the truth is that individuals just don't matter all that much.  Anecdotal evidence is something - it isn't nothing - but it is generally the worst kind of evidence.  It's a hard pill to swallow, but reality cannot be comprehended as a series of isolated stories, however heartwarming that would be; rather, reality should be grasped in grand, global, cold, mathematical, statistical tendencies.  This is the scientific way - which is not guaranteed to reveal the whole truth, but which, at the very least, is not a way for us to lie to ourselves.  Ultimately, our contextualization should not even be limited to the human, but should encompass the entire ecology and the entire cosmos.

Notice: this is the opposite orientation to that of a vast number of people in the world. Many people are ethically collectivist, and epistemologically individualist. For some people ethics simply means altruism: ethical behavior is that which is done out of concern completely for other people, and not at all for oneself. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Capitalism is Ending

Liquefactionism

Why Ayn Rand was Wrong