When I say that morality has a kind of grammar, or is a kind of grammar, I do not mean that it is grammar in the linguistic sense - still less do I mean that morality is a product of language, or that it comes from words like "should" and "ought" and "may" and "shalt".  I suspect the reverse is true, though I don't know.  I am merely making an analogy.

As for the notion that morality, or ethics, cannot be put into words, or at least that cannot be expressed clearly and comprehensively in words, there may be a kind of truth to this.  Wittgenstein may have been right about this, but he draws the wrong conclusion.  Our attempts to articulate ethics may ultimately fail, but we must keep trying.  Indeed, we have a moral duty to do so.  

It may be that moral grammar precedes linguistic grammar.  I suspect that many animals have a more highly developed and specialized moral grammar than they have a linguistic grammar.  Linguistic grammar may have evolved from moral grammar, but that remains to be proven.  Perhaps one is not the descendant of the other, but rather something like a cousin, and they have some unknown common ancestor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Capitalism is Ending

Liquefactionism

Why Ayn Rand was Wrong