People see Hegel as imposing this all-encompassing, totalizing system on reality, which they want to "break free" from (I'm thinking of Kierkegaard, etc.).  But that's not how I see Hegel at all.  That's almost the opposite of how I see Hegel.

I see Hegel as pesky, clever, troublesome... perhaps mischievous?

I see Hegel this way especially in comparison with Spinoza (kind of in comparison with Kant, too - but let's stick with Spinoza for now).

I see Hegel as doing a kind of running commentary on Spinoza.  Part of this has to do with how I see Spinoza, and how it's the opposite of how many people see him.  Some people see him as an atheist, or even a materialist.  But I see Spinoza as the greatest mystic in the European tradition.  To me, Spinoza (not Hegel) is the great system builder.  To read Spinoza is to see the entire universe as a kind of diamond, a shining, luminous jewel, in which every part reflects every other part, and it all fits together in an all-encompassing system of absolute unity.

I see Hegel as... not disagreeing with Spinoza, exactly, but... making fun of him?  I see Hegel as inserting a dark reflection into Spinoza.  There's something playful about Hegel, maybe even something a little devilish.  

Hegel's criticism of Spinoza is not that Spinoza is wrong, but that Spinoza is completely positive.  Hegel wants to awaken the negative.  Because human consciousness is the negative, and there's no place for the negativity of human consciousness in the absolute unity of Spinoza's divine system.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Capitalism is Ending

Liquefactionism

The Ego Is Not Selfish Enough