Doxastic Voluntarism and the Insufficiency of Language

Can I choose to believe what I want to believe?

You shout at me: "2+2=5!"

You hold up 2 fingers in front of my face, and then you raise 2 more.  You're now holding up 4 fingers.

You shout at me: "I'm holding up 5 fingers! Say it! Say it!"

Now, I can say, "2+2=5."  But can I believe it?

I can say: "You're holding up 5 fingers."  But can I really believe it?

It's not up to you to decide what I believe.

Is it up to me?

Can I decide what I believe?

Let's say I really want to agree with you.  Is that the same thing as agreeing with you?

As I already said, I can say, "2+2=5".  Can I believe it?

I can even say, "I believe that 2+2=5."  

I can even say, "I believe that 'I believe that 2+2=5.'"

Or, "I believe that 'I believe that 'I believe that 2+2=5.''"

I can also say, "2+2=5 is true."

Or "'2+2=5 is true' is true."

Or "''2+2=5 is true' is true' is true."

Or, "I believe that 'I believe that 2+2=5 is true' is true."

But no matter how many chains of words we connect together, nonetheless, we can still ask, after all that: but do you really believe it?

It seems to me that, although we may express (some of) our beliefs in language, nonetheless, the beliefs themselves are not merely words.  They are not, and cannot be, fully captured by words.  

Similarly: I can easily write a program, only a few lines long, to cause a computer to display a message on a screen, which says, "I think therefore I am."  But does that mean that the computer has achieved self-awareness?  No, it does not.  The words are empty.  When I say, "I think therefore I am," does that mean something more than when this 3-line program says it?  Yes, it does - because, for me, the phrase "I think therefore I am" reflects an actual experience that I really am conscious of.  I can doubt the existence of everything I experience, but I cannot meaningfully doubt that this experience is happening.

I can say, "I see 5 fingers."  But can I actually see them?

The process of my eyes and visual cortex, seeing things: this is outside of language.  

And even the desire that I have, to agree with you: this also stands outside language.  The belief is outside of language, the desire is outside of language, the visual process is outside of language, and the fingers are outside of language.  None of which prevents language from talking about these things.

But it does mean that we should think critically about words, because they can be false.  The truth of a proposition is outside of the proposition itself.

This is not an anti-language stance.  Actually, it is pro-language, because language cannot function unless there is something outside of language.

Even if, somehow, you did manage to make yourself believe that there were 5 fingers..... would it be true?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Capitalism is Ending

Why Ayn Rand was Wrong

The American Ontology