Jesus in Hell Day 1, Part 11: Back at the House
Previous Chapter: Day 1 Part 10
Back at the house, Dismas and Gestas talk with the mother of the children.
"Come in, come in! The least I can do is make you a fine meal."
"I'd be happy to, Ma'am, but we have to get our friend. He's just over there."
"Very well, bring him along."
"Ehm," says Dismas, scratching the back of his neck. "That might be... a little...."
"What? What's the problem? Just go get him and bring him inside!"
"Oh.... kay...." says Dismas, clearly uncomfortable.
Dismas and Gestas head back to the tall grass where they've left Jesus.
"Mister... Jesus?" says Dismas, quietly, leaning into towards him. Jesus does not move a muscle.
Dismas and Gestas look at each other. Gestas shrugs. They get down to pick him up.
When Dismas touches Jesus's hand, the wound on Dismas's hand closes and is magically healed.
"Look!" Dismas holds up his hand and shows Gestas. "It's gone!"
They both wonder at it for a moment. Slow dissolve.
"What's wrong with your friend? He looks... dead."
Dismas and Gestas are walking with Jesus between them, his arms around their shoulders. A small boy is speaking to them.
"We're all dead, here," says Gestas.
"Yes, of course, but he looks... extra-dead."
As Dismas and Gestas eat the sumptuous feast, the mother speaks to them.
"Yes, it's very crowded down here. Everyone who ever died is down here. There are only a few million upstairs but there are billions down here, and it's not a large space. As you can see, it's very overcrowded. We're very lucky - we can afford a house, and in a pretty nice town. Most people are homeless. Many are quite desperate - just roving masses of people, stealing what they can. A lot of them - as you saw - are just decaying, turning into horrible, feral fiends. And it's not just that... something else has happened, too. The Gods... the Gods have changed. Something terrible is happening to them. They've gone bad. 'Tis a wicked place."
"Yes, well, we're leaving. As soon as we can."
"Dismas, you know that's impossible." Gestas turns to the woman. "I told him, but he's in denial. He won't listen."
"Actually," says the woman, "It... might be possible. There's a hole, not far from here. And some people say they saw a prophet who left here and went upstairs. I've even heard that there's a ladder. He used to go up and down, freely, any time he wanted. But I don't think it's been happening as much, recently."
Young Sam says, "Did you say your name was Dismas? I know a girl who would always talk about someone named Dismas."
"Must be a different Dismas," mumbles Dismas, uncertainly. He tries to play it off cavalierly, but his lower lip is twitching.
"But Dizzy, what if it's -" Gestas's words are cut off, when Dismas smashes his fist down on the table.
'Must. Be. A. Different. Dismas," he bellows.
"Sin- that's what changing this world."
"Dismas, why wouldn't you listen to the boy?"
"Shut up, you," snaps Dismas.
"Look, I know you're anxious to leave this place and find that hole," says the woman. "But if that doesn't work out, well, I can't offer you a home. Houses are very hard to come by down here. But I can offer you something. Come with me."
In the back of the woman's house is a little plot of land.
"This could be useful to you," says the woman. "You could plant a small garden here. I know it's not much, but it could be the difference between eternal horror and a bit of stability and peace. I hope you use it."
Dismas asks Sam, "What did she -" Here his voice quivers and starts to break. Then he gathers himself. "What did she look like?" he squeaks out.
"Dark hair, kind eyes, she looked a little like you, actually. And she had a birthmark over her right eye."
"WHERE IS SHE?" Dismas grabs Sam by his robe.
"I can take you to her, mister!"
Now you must choose: will you follow Sam? Or will you try to care for Jesus by bringing him to the prophet? Or will you follow the wave of Girgashites to the edge of death?
You relent and choose to carry Jesus to through the "bad place," hoping to find the prophet.
Comments
Post a Comment